Fellow role-players, here are my notes for Session 11 of our D&D5e game, which was held on Sunday, 26 April 2015:
Player Characters for the “Land of Lost Souls,” Dexter V.H.’s telecom fantasy miniseries, using Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition, AD&D2/D&D3.5 Dragonlance, the D&D4e Forgotten Realms, Palladium Fantasy, Obsidian Portal, Skype, and the Rolz.org dice roller, as of spring 2015:
- “Kalidren ‘Cal’ Haraishur” [Gene D.]-male Qualinesti (Sylvan Elf) Paladin of Kiri-Jolith, god of valor; folk hero and a potential member of the Legion of Steel; LGn, Lvl. 5
- “Sakan Agramon Majere/Sam” [Beruk A.]-male Irda (High Ogre) Ranger, charlatan disguised as a human, with snow leopard Minerva; TNc, Lvl. 5
- “Redrik Stoneflow” [Byron V.O.]-male Neidar (Hill Dwarf) Cleric of Paladine, god of justice; outcast, guild artisan, and silversmith; LGn, Lvl. 5
- “Maddie Moonfang” [Sara F.C.]-female wolfing Barbarian, skin changer from the plains and former thrall of an evil wizard; TNc; Lvl. 5
- “Perogen Hawke” [Josh C.]-male human Wizard of the White Robes, sage; NGc, Lvl. 5
- “Rowan Kar-Thon” [Geoff C.]-male Half-Elf Skald (Bard), outlander and storyteller; NGc, Lvl. 5
- “Santiddio Sefrayn” [Bruce K.]-male Half-Elf Rogue (thief), charlatan and professional treasure seeker; CNg, Lvl. 5
- “Enyilarur Skilelo” [Drew S./departed ]-male brass Draconian Eldritch Knight (Dragonborn Fighter), noble and arcanist, with three reptilian retainers; CGn, Lvl. 4
The adventurers had entered the ruined Irda city of Vantal, encountering demonic centipedes (Quasits), hell hounds, and a Helmed Horror. They also found an oracular statue, a pool of transformation, and a cursed crown.
The group debates whether to press on or leave the catacombs. Perogen and Rowan are curious about a possible dragon in the lower depths, but Sam, Maddie, and Santiddio are more cautious.
Cal and Redrik recall their original mission to parley with Orc King Obould on behalf of the besieged Dwarves of Thorbardin. They note that they need to return and report.
While camping at the perimeter of the dungeon, the explorers hear whispers in the wind, saying words such as “release,” “redemption,” and “beware the shadows.”
Rowan eventually locates the source as a hand-and-a-half sword carried by Cal. The Paladin doesn’t sense any evil, so the Bard casts Identify. The sword actually contains the spirit of a man named Valenthius [LN, +2, +6 vs. Chaos, plus Protection From Chaos ].
Back on the surface, the spelunkers aren’t happy to see that a magical darkness has spread over all lands. Ranger Sam and Barbarian Maddie help their companions evade yet another Orcish patrol.
However, the six humanoids are led by a servant of Lolth that Wizard Perogen recognizes. She has the upper body of a Dark Elf and the lower body of a large spider.
The adventuring party decides to attack. Cal reaches for javelins, and Sam hits with Hail of Thorns. Cleric Redrik follows up with a Fireball, while Maddie closes for melee.
Perogen’s Chill Touch misses, and Rowan casts Heroism on himself and Maddie. Rogue Santiddio fires his magical bow. In response, the Drider casts Darkness, strikes Cal with an arrow, and taunts the “minions of the light; hear the voice of your new empress.”
Cal’s javelins miss, so the Sylvan Elf draws Valenthius, which glows. Human Perogen switches from Chill Touch to the more defensive Invisibility. Most of the Orcs swing wide, but one strikes Redrik.
Rowan and Maddie team up against one foe, with the Half-Elf inspiring the plainswoman to hit with her axe. Half-Elf Santiddio joins in with sword and dagger, killing an Orc.
Hill Dwarf Redrik invokes his patron deity Paladine to place Silence on Cal, preventing the servant of Lolth from casting more spells. However, the Drider hits Maddie, Rowan, and Santiddio with poison gas.
Before the Darkness fell, Cal glimpsed a beautiful woman, but he manages to shake off the Drider’s ensorclement. The holy warrior of Kiri-Jolith, lord of valor, smites his opponent. White-robed Perogen casts Magic Missile before joining Cal in the Silence.
The burly Orcs step out of the area of Darkness to attack Maddie and Rowan. Rowan grants inspiration to Maddie and Santiddio and swings at an Orc. Sam hits with Hail of Thorns and arrows, as Maddie senses something approaching. The skin changer rages and beheads an Orc.
Swashbuckling Santiddio kills two more of the Ogre-kin, and Redrik casts Daylight near Cal and the Drider. Perogen falls under her Charm and ceases his attacks. The spider-woman slashes at armored Cal with swords, but the two surviving Orcs surrender to Sam, who moves them away from the battle.
Maddie hacks at the Drider with her axe, and Redrik’s Scorching Ray badly injures her. Cal and Valenthius slay the Outsider. Sam and Santiddio quickly search the body, finding the following items:
- arrows, infected by plague — destroyed by Redrik
- arrows, 5, of Slaying (Lawful and Good) — destroyed by Cal
- bow, + 2 — claimed by Sam
- poison, 4 vials — claimed by Santiddio
- spellbook — claimed by Perogen
- swords, 2, of unknown metal (adamantium, + 1) — claimed by Santiddio and Rowan
The team resumes its hike to the rendezvous point. However, instead of just Dwarves on giant owls to meet it, there are also Elves on great eagles. Cmdr. Ileria explains that Thorbardin has asked for help from Quelinasti, which is itself under attack from armies of the nefarious Drow.
Perogen casts Message to send Shadowfox, a master scout among the Dwarves, a report on the division among the Orcs that may help with the siege of Thorbardin. The wanderers saddle up and head back southwest….
I’m sorry that we didn’t have quorum this past weekend, and note that we won’t be meeting virtually on Sunday, May 10, because of Mother’s Day. Still, I look forward to wrapping up our “Land of Lost Souls” miniseries and the “Vanished Lands: A New Dawn” campaign! Stay in touch, -Gene